Suicide Awareness Month is honored every September but it shouldn’t end when the month is over. We want to keep the conversation going around Veteran suicide. Our ‘Words to Live By’ video series features Veterans speaking to other Veterans about the many hardships they may be going through. The goal of these 1-minute or less videos is to reassure Veterans that they’re not in the fight alone and that there IS help for them.
All this week, please consider helping us share these inspirational and motivating words of wisdom AND the spread of resources available for Veterans and their families on helpncvets.org. Below you’ll find suggested social media posts and links to the latest 5 videos in our Words to Live By series.
- Follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/GovInst and on Twitter at @GovInst.
- Share the messages below and make sure to use the hashtags #HelpNCVets and #WordsToLiveBy
Please include one of these links with each post.
- Paul Berry, Former U.S. Marine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxYFpE8LgHc
- Gordon Jeans, Retired U.S. Army: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMJQYgG5oR4&t=13s
- Anthony Cutler, Retired U.S. Navy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T_Gip5lDsk
- Shawn Caldwell, Former U.S. Marine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hP36coeMyM
- Sam Johnson, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjqjzQU82NI&t=10s
Suggested Facebook posts
- Suicide among Veterans continues to be higher than the rest of the population. Help keep the conversation going around Veteran suicide. Visit helpncvets.org for valuable resources and our ‘Words to Live By’ video series, where Veterans speak to other Veterans about how to keep going. #HelpNCVets #WordsToLiveBy
- Of the estimated 17 Veterans who die by suicide each day, 70% have not been in contact with VA. Let’s support Veterans by letting them know there’s help out there. Share these motivational and inspiring messages from other Veterans and get a host of other valuable resources at helpncvets.org. #HelpNCVets #WordsToLiveBy
- While the Veteran suicide rate in North Carolina is significantly lower than the national Veteran suicide rate, there is still a ton of work to be done. Take a moment to listen to these inspiring words from Veterans and please share with the Veterans in your life! Helpncvets.org #HelpNCVets #WordsToLiveBy
- If you are a Veteran in crisis – or are concerned about one – free, confidential support is available 24/7. Call the #Veterans Crisis Line at 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1 or send a text message to 838255. Helpncvets.org #HelpNCVets #WordsToLiveBy
- Roughly 5 North Carolina Veterans take their own lives every day. If you know a Veteran who’s down – help them up. Visit helpncvets.org to learn more and hear inspiring stories from other Veterans. #HelpNCVets #WordsToLiveBy
- Suicide among Veterans continues to be higher than the rest of the population, according to @DeptVetAffairs. Let’s keep fighting for those who have fought for us. Visit helpncvets.org for valuable resources and more videos in our #WordsToLiveBy series. #HelpNCVets