If you are totally and permanently disabled, you may qualify for a total and permanent disability (TPD) discharge of your federal student loans or Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) grant service obligation. This loan forgiveness can also apply to federal student loans that disabled Veterans take out for their children. To qualify for a TPD discharge, you must complete and submit a TPD discharge application, along with documentation showing that you meet U.S. Department of Education requirements for being considered totally and permanently disabled, to Nelnet, the servicer that assists the Department with the TPD discharge process.