Health experts at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) understand that many people are wondering when and where they’ll get vaccinated for COVID-19. At the same time, they’re encouraging folks to stay cautious, keep up good habits and reduce your stress while you wait.
If you plan to get vaccinated, you can do six things to get ready.
- Learn if you qualify for a vaccine now:CDC recommended priority groups to help determine who should receive the vaccine first while supplies are limited. Learn which priority group you fit into. It is important for you to know when vaccines are available for your group. Check in with your VA Health Care team to learn if you can be vaccinated soon.
- Keep up with your state and local plans:While CDC makes recommendations for who should get their doses first, each state may have different eligibility rules. As new plans for distribution develop, it will be important for you to know local plans. Contact your local health department for more information on distribution and who qualifies in your area.
- Stay informed with VA’s plans:We know how important it is to stay informed. We are working closely with CDC and other federal partners to provide vaccines to Veterans and VA health care personnel. If you’d like to stay up to date about VA’s COVID-19 plans, sign up to stay informed.
- Continue protecting yourself and others:The limited availability of the vaccine means it is important for everyone to continue using all the tools available to help stop COVID-19. These are tools you already know: cover your mouth and nose with a mask when around others, stay at least 6 feet away from others, avoid crowds, and wash your hands often.
- Check your health records in My HealtheVet:While you wait to receive your COVID-19 vaccine, you can use the time to sign in to your My HealtheVet Premium account to access your VA health records and organize your personal health information. Check in with your health care team to learn if you are up-to-date with all other vaccinations or screenings. Your vaccine record will appear in My HealtheVet Immunizations if you receive the vaccine through VA.
- Talk to your doctor:If you have questions about the vaccine, let your doctor know. You can start a conversation by signing in and sending a Secure Message to your health care team.