North Carolina offers a wealth of resources for Veterans seeking to enhance their job skills, find new employment, or start a business. Agencies that provide employment services include the US Department of Veterans Affairs, the NC National Guard, the NC Department of Commerce, the NC Department of Public Instruction, NC Veterans Foundation, and the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, NC Department of Health and Human Services. Below are links to services and resources:
US Department of Veterans Affairs:
- Veterans may access education and training benefits through the VA (https://explore.va.gov/education-training?utm_source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=december-employment-monthly_12.19&utm_term=body-text-page&utm_content=employment-application-all-null).
- Veterans with a service-connected disability may be eligible for one-on-one support, counseling, and training to meet employment goals through VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Services (https://www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab/index.asp).
- The Veteran Employment Services Office, VA for Vets lists various job opportunities (https://www.vaforvets.va.gov/vaforvets/).
- Healthcare-related careers at the VA are available at https://www.vacareers.va.gov/SearchCareers.
- Veterans with vocational rehabilitation needs may be eligible for Compensated Work Therapy, which offers evidence-based treatment, access to employers, and supported employment (https://www.va.gov/health/cwt/).
- The VA offers Homeless Veterans Community Employment Services to Veterans who have experienced homelessness. Services include screening, training, referral, and support (https://www.va.gov/HOMELESS/HVCES.asp).
- Spouses, dependents, and survivors of Veterans may be eligible for career assistance, counseling, and other services through the VA (https://explore.va.gov/employment-services/spouses-dependents-survivors?utm_source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=december-employment-monthly_12.19&utm_term=body-text-page&utm_content=employment-application-all-null).
US Department of Labor:
- The USDOL offers the Find a Job program (https://www.dol.gov/veterans/findajob/).
NC Department of Commerce:
- The NC Department of Commerce has created NCWorks, which has 95 Career Centers throughout the State (https://www.ncworks.gov/vosnet/Default.aspx). NCWorks has also developed a Veterans portal for individuals seeking employment (https://veterans.ncworks.gov/vosnet/Default.aspx).
NC National Guard Employment Center:
- NC National Guard Employment Center offers service members and their families a variety of services including career counseling, skill building, and referrals to potential employers (https://www.govserv.org/US/Raleigh/204220896368484/North-Carolina-National-Guard-Employment-Center).
NC Veterans Foundation:
- Created by NC Veterans Foundation, NC for Military Employment or NC4ME offers services for both Veteran job seekers and employers through training and hiring events (https://www.nc4me.org).
NC Department of Health and Human Services:
- The Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services (DVRS) (https://www.ncdhhs.gov/divisions/dvrs) offers screening, assistive technology, and other employment services (including a Job Seeker’s Toolkit at https://files.nc.gov/ncdhhs/documents/files/2016JobSeekersToolKit%28WR%29.pdf).
- DVRS recently launched the Everybody Works campaign to increase awareness of the value of employment for individuals with disabilities and portals for employers and individuals seeking employment (https://nccdd.org/everybody-works-nc).
NC Department of Public Instruction:
- Housed by the NC Department of Public Instruction, Troops to Teachers offers assistance to eligible military personnel and Veterans interested in public school teaching careers (https://www.ncpublicschools.org/troops/).
Services for Veterans Interested in Entrepreneurship
- The Small Business and Technology Development Center offers management counseling and educational services to entrepreneurs (https://www.sbtdc.org/).
- Community Colleges:
- REAL Entrepreneurship Program, Coastal Carolina Community College (https://www.coastalcarolina.edu/sbc/entrepreneurial-programs/).
- Entrepreneurship Program, Haywood Community College (https://www.haywood.edu/instruction/programs-of-study/2016-2017/entrepreneurship)
- Center for Entrepreneurship, Wake Technical Community College (https://www.waketech.edu/programs-courses/non-credit/build-business/entrepreneurship-initiatives/center-for-entrepreneurship)
- Elon University (https://www.elon.edu/u/academics/business/entrepreneurship/).
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro (https://entrepreneur.uncg.edu/).
- NC Veteran’s Business Association provides support, educational, and networking opportunities toVeterans in business (https://www.ncvetbiz.org/).