How to Upgrade your Discharge

For Veterans who would like to upgrade or correct their discharge from the military, the US Department of Veterans Affairs now offers a new website, which takes users through a step-by-step process.  If upgrading occurs, Veterans will be eligible for VA benefits.  If the discharge is connected to one of the categories below, there is a stronger change that the discharge will be upgraded:

  • Mental health conditions, including posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
  • Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
  • Sexual assault or harassment during military service
  • Sexual orientation (including under the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy)



Pensions for Veterans with Limited Income

The US Department of Veterans Affairs offers a needs-based tax-free pension for eligible wartime Veterans with limited or no income.  Veterans must meet minimum service and other eligibility requirements in order to qualify:

  1. Age 65 or older, OR
  2. Totally and permanently disabled, OR
  3. A patient in a nursing home receiving skilled nursing care, OR
  4. Receiving Social Security Disability Insurance, OR
  5. Receiving Supplemental Security Income


Veterans who are housebound or require the aid of another person to perform daily activities may qualify for a pension at an increased rate.  Read more at