How to Upgrade your Discharge
For Veterans who would like to upgrade or correct their discharge from the military, the US Department of Veterans Affairs now offers a new website, which takes users through a step-by-step process. If upgrading occurs, Veterans will be eligible for VA benefits. If the discharge is connected to one of the categories below, there is a stronger change that the discharge will be upgraded:
- Mental health conditions, including posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Sexual assault or harassment during military service
- Sexual orientation (including under the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy)
Read more at https://www.vets.gov/discharge-upgrade-instructions.
Pensions for Veterans with Limited Income
The US Department of Veterans Affairs offers a needs-based tax-free pension for eligible wartime Veterans with limited or no income. Veterans must meet minimum service and other eligibility requirements in order to qualify:
- Age 65 or older, OR
- Totally and permanently disabled, OR
- A patient in a nursing home receiving skilled nursing care, OR
- Receiving Social Security Disability Insurance, OR
- Receiving Supplemental Security Income
Veterans who are housebound or require the aid of another person to perform daily activities may qualify for a pension at an increased rate. Read more at https://explore.va.gov/pension?utm_source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=january-pension-monthly_1.31&utm_term=body-button-page&utm_content=pension-application-all-null.