For some people, the holidays can increase symptoms of depression. They may bring up bad memories, or you may feel as if you’re outside looking in at people who are having a good time. There are ways to support your mental health through this time.
Here are some tips to try:
- Spend time with friends and do things you enjoy. Don’t just do the things you feel you have to do.
- Get plenty of rest. The better you feel, the better a holiday can be.
- Think about others. Helping those less fortunate than you can make you feel better.
- Look to the future. Think about what’s possible in the year to come instead of what has happened in the past.
- Get money off your mind. Money problems are a leading cause of holiday depression. Focus on the spirit of the season.
- Watch what you eat and drink. Eat healthy foods, watch your portion sizes, and stay away from drinking alcohol.