September is Suicide Prevention Month and nearly 8 million Americans have been diagnosed this year with PTSD, according to the National Center for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. There are several treatments for PTSD that have been shown to decrease symptoms or get rid of them altogether. Here are 5 things to know about PTSD treatment from VA’s National Center for PTSD:
- PTSD Treatment works – and you deserve to get help
- You now have more PTSD treatment options than ever
- Getting treatment for PTSD can help with other health problems
- When PTSD isn’t treated, it usually doesn’t get better – and may get worse
- If you have PTSD, it’s never too late to get treatment
There are also self-hep options to get you started, from free mobile apps to online courses, that can help you or your loved ones cope with PTSD and get treatment.
For providers – The PTSD Consultation Program offers free PTSD consultation to any provider who treats Veterans in any setting.