Founded in 2014 as a project of the Governor’s Working Group, the goal of NC STRIVE is to provide services and supports leading to Student Veterans’ success in two-year and four-year public and private institutions of higher education in North Carolina. NC STRIVE accomplishes this goal through conferences targeting administrators, support staff, and faculty.
Four regional conferences are planned for the spring of 2018. These conferences will provide the Student Veteran community with assistance tools and resources to facilitate a smooth transition from the military to higher education and from higher education to the workplace.
Each planning committee consists of representatives from community colleges, public and private universities, LME/MCOs, the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, the US Department of Veterans Affairs, the Governor’s Institute, and Veteran advocacy organizations. Conferences will be held in the western, central west, central east, and eastern regions of the State:
• Foothills Higher Education Center, Morganton, April 19, 2018
• University of North Carolina at Charlotte, April 18, 2018
• Fayetteville Technical Community College, Fayetteville, April 5, 2018
• East Carolina University, Greenville, April 23, 2018
- Managing Your Pain: Which Approach is Right for You?
This fact sheet focuses on alternative pain management methods such as acupuncture, cognitive behavioral therapy, and meditation. Inventory#: SMA17-5053-1
- Dangerous Drug Interactions
This fact sheet focuses on the dangers of mixing opiates with other substances such as alcohol and benzodiazepines. Inventory#: SMA17-5053-2
- What Are the Risks of Opioid Pain Medications?
This fact sheet focuses on the side effects and interactions of pain medication including opioid use disorder and overdose. Inventory#: SMA17-5053-3
- What to Do if Your Medication Isn’t Working
This fact sheet focuses on patients requiring assistance with ineffective medications. Inventory#: SMA17-5053-4
- My Medications
This fact sheet provides a list to assist patients with cataloging their medications. Inventory#: SMA17-5053-5
- Prescription Pain Medication Agreement
This fact sheet focuses on the prescription pain medication agreement. Inventory#: SMA17-5053-6
- Prescribing Opioids: Reduce the Risk
This fact sheet focuses on reducing the risks associated with prescribing opioids including misuse, overdose, and how to safely store, and dispose of prescription drugs. Inventory#: SMA17-5053-7
- Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs
This fact sheet focuses on how Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs (PDMPs) help health providers better serve their patients’ needs and promote safety. Inventory#: SMA17-5053-8
- Talking to Your Patients About Opioids
This fact sheet focuses on how clinicians can discuss the appropriate use of opioids, dosage, and the dangers of opioid use disorder and overdose. Inventory#: SMA17-5053-9
- Safe Disposal of Prescription Medications
This fact sheet focuses on the proper method for disposing unused pain medication to prevent illegal use, and environmental concerns. Inventory#: SMA17-5053-10
- Safe Storage of Prescription Medications
This fact sheet focuses on the importance of properly storing medication in the home to avoid accidental ingestion by children. Inventory#: SMA17-5053-11
- Common Names for Prescription Opioid Pain Medications
This fact sheet focuses on generic, brand, and street/slang names for various pain medications. Inventory#: SMA17-5053-12
- Treating Overdose with Naloxone
This fact sheet focuses on using Naloxone as a deterrent to overdose. Inventory#: SMA17-5053-13