Last month the Service Women’s Action Network (SWAN) released their report, The Mental Wellness Needs of Military Women: Community Driven Solutions. Through a series of focus groups, they identified the following policy recommendations:
- Provide gender-specific mental wellness assessments with feedback and recommended care options during transition and demobilization activities.
- Develop women-specific transition and demobilization services.
- Increase access to appropriately trained counselors/therapists in DOD and the VA.
- Provide funding for alternative therapies like meditation, yoga, massage therapy, and acupuncture.
- Establish social support groups/networks for military women.
- Improve resource access via a single, cross-community resource site.
Download a copy of the report from https://www.servicewomen.org/.