Returning OEF/OIF/OND service members have five years from their last discharge date to apply for benefits.
Each county has a Veteran Services Officer (VSO) who can assist Veterans in determining their benefits. To identify your VSO, go here and type in your zip code.
Veteran Service Organizations
- American Ex-prisoners of War
- The American Legion
- American Veterans
- Disabled American Veterans
- Marine Corps League
- Military Officers Association of America
- Military Order of the Purple Heart
- National Association for Black Veterans
- Paralyzed Veterans of America
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Vietnam Veterans of America
- While North Carolina has four National Veterans Cemeteries, only the Salisbury cemetery is still open. For more information, call 704-636-2661.
- The NC Department of Military and Veterans Affairs manages the State Veterans Cemeteries Program. A free burial plot at one of the cemeteries is offered to Veterans and their spouse if the Veteran meets eligibility requirements. Cemeteries are located in: